Monday 5 December 2016

Vaikom Vijayalakshmi

Image result for vaikom vijayalakshmi
Singer Vaikom Vijayalakshmi has proved that being visually challenged is no handicap at all. An expert at playing the rare musical instrument, Gayathriveena, she made heads turn right from her first song as a playback singer.
After winning a special mention from the State Film Awards jury for her rendition of the song Katte Katte from the film Celluloid, Vijayalakshmi bagged the State Film Award for the best singer the very next year through Kamal's Nadan. Most recently, she won the Filmfare Awards (South) for Best Female Singer. In conversation with Kochi Times, Vijayalakshmi shares her dreams and thoughts.
After winning a special mention from the State Film Awards jury for her rendition of the song Katte Katte from the film Celluloid, Vijayalakshmi bagged the State Film Award for the best singer the very next year through Kamal's Nadan. Most recently, she won the Filmfare Awards (South) for Best Female Singer. In conversation with Kochi Times, Vijayalakshmi shares her dreams and thoughts.


Filmfare Award


This is my first year at the prestigious Filmfare Awards function. Though I have heard about the award a lot, I never hoped or thought about winning one myself! However, I wished to take part in the event someday. I am happy that the song Ottakku Paadunna Poonkuyil made it happen. I was extremely happy and excited to hear my name announced as the winner.



The song that brought it all


Many had told me that the song Ottakku Paadunna Poonkuyil from Nadan would take me a long way ahead. Composer M Jayachandran sir told me when he announced this year's State Film Award, "Lord Sreekrishna is going to visit you with Vishu Kaineettam at 10.30 am today. Wait and watch."

Working with music director Ouseppachan, who tuned this song for Nadan, was also wonderful. A CD was sent to me and I just made sure that I learnt the song. I remember that even before I was given the instructions to record, I started singing, and Ouseppachan sir was amazed.
In the upcoming film Ezhu Desangalkkum Akale, I got a chance to act, alongside singing. I was really scared, especially in scenes involving climbing of rocks. Besides, it was my first experience ever. I am glad that everyone appreciated my performance post the take.



In other industries


So far I have sung six songs in Tamil. J C Daniel with M Jayachandran, Cuckoo with Santhosh Narayanan, Ennamo Etho and Vellakkara Dorai with D Imman, Kaadu with composer K, and Kavathu with Sabesh Murali.



Dreams


Thinking of my life ahead, what I wish to achieve the most is vision. As of now I am doing Ayurveda treatment for it. The equipment called bionic eye would be reaching me from the US soon. Moreover, I also dream of settling happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment